The information below outlines the marriage requirements for getting married in Jamaica
Visitors to Jamaica can be married just 24 hour after arriving in Jamaica providing prior application has been made for a marriage license. To apply for your marriage license, call our Ministry of National Security at 1-876-906-4908 or visit the Ministry of National Security. When Planning a Resort Destination Wedding, most of the work will be done for you by the resorts' Wedding Coordinators.
The cost of a license is four thousand Jamaican dollars (approximately US$75-US$80).
Unlike many countries, Jamaica does not expect you take a blood test before getting married. However, the following documentation is required:
- Proof of citizenship - certified copy of birth certificate, which includes father's name.
- Parent's written consent if under 18 years of age.
- Proof of divorce if applicable (original certificate of divorce).
- Certified copy of death certificate for widow or widower.
- Italian nationals celebrating their wedding in Jamaica must notify their embassy and a certified copy of their marriage certificate forwarded to their embassy to be legalized and translated.
- French Canadians need a notarised translated copy of all documents and a photocopy of the original French documents.
There are non-denominational Marriage Officers who can officiate either at their offices, in their homes or at a place chosen by the couple, and are able to provide witnesses. Marriage Officers charge anywhere from US$50 ? US$250.
The registrar's office should be contacted for specific rules regarding planning your destination or beach wedding in Jamaica. They will also provide information regarding marriage licenses and marriage certificates.
The Ministry of National Security
Mutual Life Building
2 Oxford Road,
Tel: 876 906 4908
Office Hours: Monday to Thursday 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Friday from 9:00 A.M to 4:00 P.M.